For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Monday, January 4, 2010

"Why Thailand??"

I'm leaving this coming Wednesday! I can't even believe it's this week. I signed up for this program last fall, so it's been a while in the making. Everyone asks "Why Thailand?", so I'm sure some of you are wondering the same thing. I chose Thailand because the program seemed very unique. It seemed like a once in a life time experience. It's not your typical go to Europe and study in a university. (Which there is nothing wrong with at all... to those of my friends who are going to Europe... I actually always saw myself studying abroad in Europe somewhere). This program spends some time at Chiang Mai University but it also spends time in a village. I'll be living in a tradition Thai village in Northern Thailand for the last month that I'm there. That part of the program really excited me. It's also a smallish group, which will be nice. There are about 30 of us, all coming from various Christian colleges around the country. Another reason I wanted to go to Thailand was because when else would I go there. It seems like one of those experiences to do in college with a group. It's probably not a place that my family would vacation to. The program takes a lot of field trips and by the end I'll have seen most of Thailand. And another plus, for spring break, I'll be on the Thai Beaches! Which are apparently amazingly gorgeous! And I'll get to swim in the Indian Ocean! All very exciting things and wonderful reasons to study there!

4 comments:

  1. You're going to have such an amazing time!!! We'll be following you via your blog and dropshots and praying for you too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity! Enjoy all the hot spicy food there as well as the fish. I can't wait to read about your adventures. We will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MK, thanks for creating this blog so we can follow you to Thailand. We are looking forward to reading about your adventures there - and your studies. We are praying for your safety and well-being where ever you go.
    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete