For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fequently Asked Questions

I am going to do my best to answer some questions that you might be wondering. If you have other questions leave them on the comments page and I'll try to answer them!
What is my room at my host family like?
Well, it's about the size of a train compartment. I can almost stand with my arms out and touch both walls at the same time. It is quite small. I have a little table which will count as my desk, and a cabient that has room for my clothes. My bed is like sleeping on cement but I'm starting to get used to it. And there is just enough room to fit my suitcases under the bed, which is a relief because if they didn't fit there I would have no clue what to do with them.
What about the bathroom?
The bathroom is pretty modern. It has a toilet with toilet paper..and of course, the traditional but spraying hose. (They are everywhere and some places only have that as opposed to having toilet paper....I have yet to try this thing out. I think I'd end up soaked). I am not supposed to flush the toilet paper...but the first time I used the bathroom when I moved in I put it in there by mistake. So I fished it out for fear I would break their toilet within 15 min of moving in. The shower has a hot water box. Basically it heats the water up and makes hot water. But I am not sure how it works. The one in the hotel just worked but I can't get hot water out of this one. So I think it might be broken. Needless to say...showers are not fun when it is freezing cold water. I just hang my head over and only get my hair wet and then do a quick rinse off at the end. I'll have to ask about hot water.
What kind of car does my family drive?
They drive a Toyota SUV. It's very nice. And Khun Pa drives a car that looks just like the old white toyota camery...without a dented door.
Internship??
I just realized I never wrote about the internship I decided on. I choose to work at Agape Home. You can look it up online at www.nikkisplace.org It's a really neat ministry and I'm excited to get invovled with it. I'm also excited to get to know two of the ladies who work there. They seem so excitied to have us and so encouaring. And they speak English. So it'll be fun to get to know them. We will be teaching English 4 days a week in the school that the children go to. There are five girls who choose to do their internship there. There are two classes from 1-2pm, which we will split up a teach. And then there is one class from 3-4pm. So we will all teach that together. We're working on lesson plans and coming up with fun creative stuff. It's hard to come up with some good ideas but they're coming to us. On Saturdays we will have the oppurtunity to go to Agape Home and hang out with the kids in the morning. We will make bead necklaces with them and jump rope and teach them to make pancakes and fun stuff like that. So it should be exciting!

I'm trying to think about other questions...I can't think of any right now. But if any of you have questions...ask away!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe your readers will want to know about the neighborhood; a typical day, minus the stuff you've said about class and Agape House; about Chiang Mai; what you can buy at the markets; weird things they sell....
    Love you, praying for you, and your adjustment to your family...also that you'd all communicate (in Thai) better, and that you'll be able to do more stuff with your Thai mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen a type of fruit that is the size of a honneydew and it smells like rotten eggs? I was watching the Travel Channel and they were showing weird food from Thailand. There was also a dish that consisted of "chicken parts" that were skwered and grilled. Being tired of rice reminds me of eating tortillas for B,L,&D:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Durian, Anna? I haven't eatten it yet, but I've heard it smells bad. I don't think it's in season yet. I'm sure I'll try it at sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the Toyota they have isn't on the recall list! I remember having to light a box in Hong Kong to get hot water. It had a big note about how you had to make sure there was proper ventilation - the only window was in the shower. There was a huge apartment building right across the street. No curtain on the window. . .I just took my chances.

    ReplyDelete