For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Random Ramblings

Here is a random mix of things that I have learned so far in my time in Thailand:
1. If you cannot find a parking space, park behind someone else's car. It's not a problem. Just leave your car in neutral and the person will push it out of the way when they want to move their car. This creates quite a tight situation in a parking garage, but people do it anyway.
2. McDonald's and DQ sizes are not the same as they are in the U.S. Tonight I splurged and ordered my first thing at McDonald's since being here. I just had to have a little treat. I ordered a McFlurry. An Oreo McFlurry to be exact. And it was about as big as a sample size. No joke. I also noticed that at Dairy Queen the Blizzards were the same size. TINY! In America, that would be a free sample size. I guess that explains why America has an obesity problem.
3. Thai people do not have anything to drink with their meals. Everytime we had dinner or lunch we have nothing to drink. Or we have very very little. The other night I was dying of thirst so I asked my host parents if I could have some water. We were out at a restaurant (well, street side cafe) and the waiter had put cups on the table and there was water, but no one poured any. They said I could have some. So I poured a cup and handed it to my Khun Pa and he said "no, not now". So I drank it with my meal and they all drank their water after. Very strange.
4. Thai people do not drink directly out of a bottle. They just a straw for everything. In America, we would just drink straight from the bottle of water, but nope, they use a straw here.
5. There are some really cool stores in the mall. I have an addiction to the Export Stores....there are a few of them. Tonight at the mall I had to limit myself to not going in all of them. I knew I would find something I liked and it would be cheap and I'd be tempted to get it. So I didn't go in them. In addition to some super sweet export stores, they had this one interesting store. It was called the "Great American Body". I thought the name of it was just hilarious. Inside it had polo shirts with popped collars and plaid shorts. It was funny because I guess that what they think of when they think "American clothing".
6. Pedestrians do not have the right of way here. When crossing the street make sure no cars are coming towards you and then RUN and hope for the best! haha
7. Do not flush toilet paper... and when traveling, even to CMU, bring your own toilet paper or tissues if you should desire to use some. Otherwise, good luck trying to use the butt washer hose.
8. Always befriend an art student to have help with your art projects.
9. Always travel with Aj Mike in the car he rides in or on temple tours. He either buys you oranges on the side of the road or gives you a personalized tour!
10. Do not wash your underwear or socks with the rest of your clothes. You must wash them outside in a wash sink seperate from everything else. Even if you send your laundry away to be done, do not send your underpants or socks...this is considered very rude.
11. Never point your feet at another person. This is kinda like the equivalent of giving someone the finger in the U.S. So rude.
Finally 12. Always, always, always remove your shoes before entering a house or a temple, or a computer lab, or anything other random building. Do not forget!

2 comments:

  1. too too funny sugar bear! I told Ty about the parking behind cars. He said it we did that here, the car would be gone, as in stolen. And the washing of clothes...you have got to be kidding. What a riot. Were you rude?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everything is a bit of an adventure there. Keep your sweet spirit. We love you!

    ReplyDelete