For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Learning the hard way...

Tonight we wanted to go someplace to sit down for dinner instead of finding food and taking it back to the hotel to eat. So we went to this PadThai place. We thought it'd be a nice simple safe (meaning no new things) meal. So we decided to order PadThai with veggies and a few ordered it with chicken. Our food arrived. The chicken looked good and then the veggies plate came. I asked the waiter which one it was, whether it was chicken or veggies and he started to dig through the plate. (I was sitting on the end so he was showing me) All the sudden he uncovered a squid tentacle. It was purple and had the little suction cups on it. And it was HUGE. I gasped and had a little freak out. He walked away from the table to bring more. He brought over 5 plates of "squid PadThai"... not Veggie PadThai. Most of us were horrified and I couldn't even look at it. I had to cover it over with the noodles. It just grossed me out so bad. Just the look of this purplely suction cup thing staring back at me really freaked me out. I kinda lost my appetite a! fter that and someone gave me their chicken one. But the squid still sat there and looked at me. Ewwwww.... AH! So lesson learned here.... learn the difference between the word for veggies and squid in Thai...and MEMORIZE it correctly! It was a learning experience for us all and quite hilarious. A meal we shall never forget! And never order again!

1 comment:

  1. oh man, I wouldn't eat it either. So, now three important words are squid, spicy and veggies. You don't think they think that squid is a vegetable do you? Have fun. Love you.

    ReplyDelete