For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Teaching English...day 1 and 2

Yesterday we started our internship at Agape Home. They want us to teach English in the school that the children go to. We thought we'd have the same class each day, but when we got to the school we found out that we would have a different class each day. So that is 8 classes a week. 2 a day. This makes lesson planning easy, because we only need 1 lesson per week. But it was a little different than we had expected. But we are excited. We are working on saying "What is your name?" and "My name is...". We gave each of them English names and they made name tags with the English name and their Thai name on the other side. They enjoyed it. But it is difficult to communicate with them because most do not speak much English. With each class we teach it gets better though. We have a variety of ages from first grade to 6th grade. It's a lot of fun though and it seems that the kids are starting to understand. Today we stayed after school to hang out until the Agape Bus comes to pick up the kids. We talked to a bunch of kids...I practiced my Thai and then some of the boys tried to teach us to play a mix between soccer and volleyball. It was a lot of fun, but difficult in a skirt. But we were all laughing, which is all that really matters. We all squished onto the bus and went back to Agape Home and said goodbye and then it was time to leave for our homes.
On Tuesday my Khun Ma can't pick me up at the market I get dropped off at until 6pm. I get there around 4:45pm...but on Tuesdays the market is big! So I shopped around for a bit...got some super cute dressy sandals and a new belt! Always good things to have! And when they are a little over $1 each...how can one refuse! Then I took a walk through the western grocery store...ah! Just like home! I reminded me A LOT of Kings! First I walked through the cheese aisle. Of course cheese will never taste the same in another country, but it was worth a try. They had little single packages so I got two. Eh...not the best cheese I've ever had, but still better than no cheese at all. It tasted very preserved. Then I took a walk through the rest of the aisles....and guess what I found?!? GOLDFISH! Earlier today I had been talking about how much I wanted some...and I found them. I had to get them. With a quick check to the expiration date, and with the knowledge that they looked normal and were not expired and that I could read the package in ENGLISH....I made my first purchase of American food. Such a great moment. I haven't opened them yet...I am saving them for the moment I can not resist any longer. That moment will come soon I know. Rice is only good the first 100 times you eat it. Then it gets a bit old. However, when I eat the goldfish I will miss my roommate and our many goldfish and friends nights. But those will happen again soon! :)

2 comments:

  1. I hope and pray you can have some sort of impact on these kids. Just being friends with them is sooo good. AND, I think because you saw Ty eating the Goldfish the other night when we skyped, you just had to have some. Please be careful wandering by yourself,I know you love to explore. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Macaroni & Cheese?

    ReplyDelete