For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Burned Toast

This morning my Khun Ma and Khun Pa had to go up north for a funeral so they were unable to take me to school. One of families that lives close to me picked me up. This meant a few things. 1. I got to sleep an extra 1 hour! Instead of leaving at 6:45am we left at 7:45am! It was wonderful. 2. I got to eat what I wanted for breakfast. Meaning NO CHICKEN AND RICE!! Last night my Khun Ma (pronounced kun maaa [like baa in the sheep, but with an m])... showed me where the bread was so I could have toast. She showed me a variety of jams, one that she made. It was made of green eggs and banana leaves...I passed on that one. In fact I passed on all the jams. I just wanted a simple piece of toast. So this morning I got up and got ready and went to the kitchen to make toast. I was so happy to not have to eat chicken and rice for breakfast and be able to eat a more normal breakfast. The bread doesn't have crust and is very fluffy. It tastes normal and so good after eating rice. haha. Anyway I plugged in the the toaster and stuck two pieces in. I do not like my toast burnt. I just like it a little toasted and warm. So I turned down the toaster to like setting 3 or 4. I figured that would probably be to light but I could push it down a second time. I went to my room to get my backpack and came back and my toast was up. But it was burned to a crisp. Black on both sides. It was terrible. And the kicker is that there is no garbage can in the house. Or outside the house. I wanted to throw it away and make new toast because I couldn't eat that burned stuff. But I couldn't find the garbage can. They don't have a can because they don't want bugs. So I looked outside. Nope...no can there either. I can't figure out what they do with their garbage. I have no clue. So I wrapped the two burned slices in toilet paper.... oh yeah, toilet paper here is multi-purpose. It serves as tissues and napkins. So I warped the toast up in the toilet paper and stuck it in my back pack and took it all the way to school and then found a garbage can. It was hilarious...and I now know put the toaster on setting 1 and don't ever have a need for a garbage can in this house.... haha!

3 comments:

  1. You are TOOO funny. Next time, maybe just eat it as bread. Try some funky jams too...who knows what they are made of. How'd the boys get to school? Maybe you can carpool more often. Loved your story. LOL. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny, MK. At least you cleaned up all the evidence. Sounds like your learning experience there is a 24/7 deal. Be well and stay safe. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha aww MK I'm sorry, did you get to eat breakfast that day?

    ReplyDelete