For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Thai gone wrong...

Today at lunch I tried to order my food using the Thai that we learned today in class... Well we learned to say "spicy" and "not spicy" and "very spicy". If you know me, I have a pretty low tolerance for spicy food. So I asked the lady if the food was spicy or not. She said not spicy and I asked a few times to make sure we were communicating correctly. And she shook her head for not spicy. So I figured this would be a safe meal. Well I got to my seat took a bite and I thought there a fire inside my mouth. It was HOT! Very spicy! So I am not sure she understood me and I did not understand her...Lesson learned here...practice your Thai! As a treat to my self for my not so good lunch I finished it off with an ice cream cone! My favorite! :)

3 comments:

  1. oh dear...I guess she didn't get it? OR you looked like a girl who could handle spicy. Love you. Hope you can practice those words for tomorrow's lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a survivor, MK. As long as these eating places have ice cream you'll be fine.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i love you :) and miss you ;) i can't wait to hear you speak Thai when you get back! It's soo cool that you get to! You should record yourself speaking it, just in case later you forget some of it!

    ReplyDelete