For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Post Office

Ok, sorry it's been so long since I last updated. I am finishing up my time in Chiang Mai and finishing classes and finishing my internship and doing final projects...etc... basically that all equals that I have no time! So now I will fill you all in on the past week...
First I will tell you the stamp story... If you have been checking dropshots.com/mkinthailand you will have seen a picture of an envelope with like 4 stamps on it....there is a story behind that. I have had it forever and just needed a stamp. It took me a long time to find the time to be able to go to the post office. I found the time last week when I didn't have internship for a day. I walked myself down there and took a number. When I was called I asked for a stamp. The post office guy just stared at me blankly, so I said it again. Still blank stare... so once again I asked for a "stamp to America". This time I drew out a letter with my fingers and proceeded to point to the corner where a stamp would go. He then kinda understood and pointed me to another desk. So I waited in line there and then went through the whole process again....including the blank stares. It ended with that lady pointing me back to the first desk I was at. So I went back over and took another number. The guy behind the desk just kept laughing at me whenever he looked up from helping the person in front of me. I then went through the whole process again, speaking Thai and English and then he picked up a letter and asked me where mine was. I told him it was at home but I needed a stamp and would mail it at a mailbox...apparently you need the letter to weigh first to buy a stamp...well, no one told me that. So he weighed a random letter that he found and then told me a price. So I said fine, I'll take it. I reach for my wallet and start counting out the money, and he points to back to the other desk. I was so confused but when back over there. I thought I was finally getting somewhere, but then I had to start again. Back to the whole stamp to america thing and then I said the price and she gave me ,not 1, not 2, not even 3, but 4 huge stamps! There was no way they were all going to fit on my letter...but I took them and said thank you. I had to almost outline the letter with them because there were so many and it was such a small letter. But at least I was able to get them after spending about 15 minutes in the post office.

1 comment:

  1. I hope Katie gets it...she'll get a kick out of all the stamps on the front.

    ReplyDelete