For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Friday, March 26, 2010

End of Spring Break and Night Train

The rest of spring break was amazing! My happy spot under the palm tree on my beach mat was so relaxing and wonderful. I do love the beach! :) The last night in Kho Chang we went out to eat at a cute Italian Restaurant. It was so yummy. I had penne vodka! YUMMY! And it had real cheese in! Oh man, it was great!
We left Kho Chang around 10am on Wednesday morning to head back to Bangkok to catch the night train to Chiang Mai. We made it, but 5 people missed it because they left the island too late. Thankfully we made it with about 25 minutes to spare. The train left at 7:35pm. I navigated the way all the way from the island to the platform. I was very proud of my map reading skills.
The night train was super cool. Not really what I pictured. I think I pictured a train a little too much European style and it was a bit more Asian style than I thought, but I am in Asia. It was fun though. I had my own little bunk.
I met a nice Thai family on the train too and talked to them in Thai for a while. It was cool to see how much Thai I actually do know.
Sorry this post is so short and detailless, but I'm exhausted. I'm going to bed.
Tomorrow morning we head to the villages! I will be offline for a while so expect a good update when I get back. And maybe a few more details about the rest of spring break.
Check for pictures are dropshots.com/mkinthailand2

1 comment:

  1. oh my Sugar Bear, you are funny. Tyler thinks you thought the train was going to be like the one in White Christmas. I'm glad you had a restful and safe spring break. Maybe the next spring break won't be sooo far away. Love you, miss you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete