For the spring semester, I have given up the small town of Grantham, Pennsylvania, to live in an entirely different part of the world. THAILAND!! I have become a fully enrolled student at the Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will be exploring many different aspects of Thai culture! I'll be learning the Thai language, living with a Thai family, taking classes and interning at a local organization. I'm so excited!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Art Class

Mom, I know you are gonna love this! Today, we did watercolors in art class. They gave us all our own set of really nice watercolors, a watercolor paper book and some paint brushes. First we had to draw a flower and then we had to paint it. Mine turned out terrible! And I'm talking terrible! I tried to blend two colors together in the pedal like they showed us and it just looked so ugly. The one art student...who ends up helping me a lot in this class, tried to teach me how to do. But first he had to teach me how to properly hold the paint brush. Apparently I don't hold it correctly. Then he tried tirelessly to teach me how to blend these colors and use the watercolor paints...and I just couldn't do it. On one of my tries it didn't work and he called over the head art guy and they both had a good laugh. Then the art professor came over and got a good chuckle and suddenly most of the art students were gathered around my painting all laughing. Luckily I don't take art that seriously and was not offended in the least...in fact, I was laughing just as hard as they were. The kicker is that since I didn't finish in class, and my painting just looked so ugly, I have to do one for homework. ALL BY MYSELF! And it's gonna be graded! haha...but luckily I'm only taking the class pass/fail. So all I have to do it pass!
In the bag of art supplies they gave us today was also colored pencils made from sticks...they look cool and some charcoal. So Friday's art class should be fun too! This is right up your alley Mom. If only you were here you could do my art project for me and it would look good. Haha.

1 comment:

  1. oh, my Mary Kate...you are so funny. I would LOVE to do watercolors!!! I wish I was there with you. Good girl for trying. Love you!

    ReplyDelete